Thursday, July 18, 2013

Found a Possum in my Roof this Morning! What do I do?



Possum invasion is a usual occurrence in a lot of Sydney suburbs, even more so for residents living at very close to bush lands and wild life reserves.  Just like me. The possums may seem like small furry harmless creatures but they do become a nuisance when the possum gets in the roof and decides to make it its home. I recall as saying…

                “It would have been quite aright if the possum in my roof had not decided to take residence during a dinner party.  But hearing the scuffling noise and the subsequent throat clearing sounds outside made my guests uneasy. We were supposed to lounge around in the newly built deck but decided against it considering that the sounds continued for a lengthy while.”

 Possums are nocturnal creatures and they are up the whole night, which of course do not go well with the main residents who live downstairs. They are solitary, but, they do make a lot of noise thumping across the ceiling, chasing smaller animals, scratching posts and other possum essentials.  If the possum you have is anything like the possum in my roof (who checked in two summers ago), then you’re in for long sleepless nights, unless that is, if you decide to call the possum removal experts right away.  I tried dealing with the possum in my roof on my own and it was one of the most stressful experiences.  You see, it cannot be caught and trapped or endangered in any way, or else you’ll be fined a few thousand dollars.  So, for your sanity’s sake I have prepared a list of things so avoid in case you find a possum very much like the one in my roof.
Do not repair your roof haphazardly.  Cover all holes like you mean business. Possums are equipped with awesome claws and they are relentless and determined.  They will do anything just to get into their home and if they have been in the roof for some time, they consider it their home. 
Do not feed it with intention to poison it.   This may well be the most tempting option but, it is illegal and you might have trouble locating and extracting it when kicks the bucket up there
Do not catch it and bring for a long drive into the wilderness and leave them there.  Lots of people to think about doing this but this is still illegal.    Doing this puts the possum in danger because it may not survive, if it does, it may come back into your roof. 
Do not get rid of the possum in the roof on your own especially if it involves firepower

The 'Bloody possums', he hissed, reached behind him to a bureau drawer and pulled out a revolver which he fired several times up into the ceiling. It was a bit of a conversation stopper, as small pieces of plaster drifted down to the tablecloth.
On the fourth shot there was a distant squawk of possibly marsupial origin, and the host beamed, and put away his shooter. 'Got the little bastard', he said happily and resumed his glass of shiraz.

The possum in my roof did leave but not after a battle of wills which went on for days.  I gave up in the end and called experts.  It’s the best thing I’ve ever done.  I can still hear them but I know they are far away enough not to bother my parties – tucked in possum boxes a few meters away from my property.

No comments:

Post a Comment